Monday, July 16, 2012

Laughing and Walking


After reading that only 10% of severe DAI patients ever wake up, my gratitude has deepened even more. I am blown away and now I see why some of the doctors were so grave when we first got here. I avoided reading too much on it at first and I am glad I did. I would have been horribly worried and that sure wouldn't have helped.

Saturday:

Katy is funny. When I was checking in the mirror she said, "Stop caring how you look. You look good." I asked her what she did in Physical Therapy. She said she took a walk. I asked how many steps and she answered, "applesauce steps," then started laughing. 

Later Saturday afternoon she talked about Nome, Alaska in 1602 then started asking me to play Blue October and End of December or Slipknot and was asking me to look up things on Facebook.

Later she wouldn't stop asking for music but is asking me to play "End of Slipknot." Since she needs a nap I told her after her nap we'll play Slipknot (no screaming though).

Sunday:

Sunday Katy had so many questions. She's also saying things, whatever comes to mind, never mind holding back. She's laughing a lot too. She walked with two of us helping, about 10 feet to the bathroom. She brushed her own hair a few strokes and put on her own lip balm. We also played Candyland with Charlotte. Katy could pick her own cards if I held them in front of her but let me move her guy. 



Katy had kind of a restful day Sunday. She napped some, strolled in the chair once and I read to her a few times from The Magician's Nephew. Good book! Better than the one I'm reading. It seems to put her to sleep but she likes me to read it to her. 

Monday:

Today is like a big day, from her rehab schedule. I think everybody will be pleasantly surprised how she's doing.


Katy was up in her chair when I came in this morning. She smiled and said, "Hi Mom." She had a good night; she had gotten up twice to use the bathroom and slept well. We went outside to the patio and were there a few minutes before she started asking for water. We will finally get to talk with Speech Therapy this morning and they will not get out of here until they write down that she can have water and applesauce. The other ST said she could have these things then the doctors pulled it out from under us because it wasn't written down in the report and Katy, the nurses and I have all been frustrated. They also said they were going to try a tray of different foods this morning to start her diet! That is so exciting for her and because it's a big step in her recovery. The best thing of all is when she is eating well, we can get rid of the leaking stomach tube which she tries to get to all the time.


1 comment: