Thursday, July 12, 2012

Washing Face and Spanish!


Occupational Therapy had Katy wash her own face a little. 

Speech had her sipping water from a spoon which she loves! She needs to work on her coughing and swallowing but she's getting it….

Speech asked Katy who I was and she said Natalie. When asked what she calls me she said mom. 

Physical Therapy has been taking her to the parallel bars and having her practice shifting her weight but when we had her sitting on the edge of the bed she stood up herself. After PT was done, Katy counted to 150 twice. That came from counting her exercises.

She can't have too much input, such as guests, TV or radio except for 10 minutes once or twice a day. I did put on some Coldplay for her. I'm sure open to suggestions if anybody would like to leave a comment with a band name or two. It just needs to be something kind of mellow like Coldplay.

Everybody said she is doing amazingly great, she is just confused and restless. Dr. M said this will pass as well. She is going through that phase which is common. 

She has been speaking in Spanish as well as English, which is very interesting. 

I have to say that there are some amazing people in this world. If anyone ever wants a worthy cause to donate to, try the Ronald McDonald House Charities. I am floored by the generosity involved, from the volunteers who help organize and watch over the House, the people who donate baby blankets, quilts and time for cleaning public areas of the House to people who donate nightly dinners, such as Wendy's, Domino's Pizza, Subway, Belvedere Supper Club, some local churches and even local families.

Another worthy charity is the Children's Miracle Network. They provide staff at the hospital to help in Pediatrics so kids have a place other than their room to go and play or read or participate in activities.



2 comments:

  1. I think she'd like 'The First Days of Spring' by Noah and the Whale.
    It's a beautiful song; almost as beautiful as Katy.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about "Over My Head" by the Fray.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3leytjSs0SU

    I'm sooo happy Katy is progressing, I miss her and departing from high school seemed bad enough. I'd hate to lose her! Hearing of this update reminds me how strong she is.

    ReplyDelete