Saturday, July 14, 2012

Sitting and Improved Cognitive Levels


We've seen a big change in the last few days. Katy is talking in meaningful sentences some of the time and asked if I'd take her with me when I go to the store. She also asked if we could go see Grandma and asked if Charlotte could come see her. She is sitting up about 75% on an elbow then needs help the rest of the way.

The last couple of days she has not rested during the day and must do about 200 sit ups a day. We ordered an elbow pad for her because her left elbow was getting pretty red from her sit ups.

I finally broke down and let them talk me into a 7-7 shift. That should keep it the same every day and allow me to get shower and laundry, etc. done at night. Otherwise I'm not even getting 5 hours of sleep. I know it's important to Katy that I am well rested and I'm trying to have the foresight to make sure that happens. It's so easy to go with your instincts and want to help out and be there as much as possible.  They have been asking me a lot lately if I'd like to have a sitter in at 7 every day instead of 11 and I was avoiding it but it's getting a little tough. Thursday evening, during shift change I tried to change her myself and was getting a little frustrated, sniffled and she said, "Mom, are you crying?" Wow. 

Katy has been sleeping better at night, according to her sitters. She doesn't get much sleep during the day so it's nice to still see her resting in the morning. I realize Katy is a "night person" but with the therapy she will have to go through, getting her sleep at night will help her recovery. When she wasn't sleeping at night she was sleeping when they came in for therapy and they can't work with her, meaning we'd be here that much longer.

Yesterday when Jaurdon from Child Life Services came down to see us, as she was leaving, Katy said she would think of her over the weekend. Then Katy said, "Think of me when you're in the bathroom." We started laughing and Katy started laughing too!!!! What a great thing to hear! 

Dear Paige came to sit with her yesterday and Katy asked her to text me to see if she could have some water. It is so awesome that she is calculating like that.

Speaking of calculating, it's disconcerting sometimes to hear her counting over and over again because she can't help it. Hearing her recovery therapy doctor say that she will pass through this phase is keeping me from worrying about it all the time. She does repeat words, put two words together as a different word and puts two words together in a phrase that wouldn't necessarily go together.

At nap time Katy told me she couldn't sleep. I told her she gets medicine later to sleep and she asked me to ask them if she could have some now. Child Life brought in a distraction machine that has a colored bubble tank with fake fish that changes colors.

This morning a little boy named Max is screeching again. He doesn't like to do anything they want him to do. He reminds me of the kids in Walmart who scream when they don't get the toy they want. People come and they go, but Jersey and Max are always here. Hopefully she'll get to go home soon for her sake, and Max will get to go home for our sake.  

Jersey is a little girl from the UP that was hit by a car while riding her bike. Her recovery is very similar and she is such a great little girl. She's been here since early March but might get to go home next week. She has been starting to walk with a walker and is such a trooper. I know everyone here is going to miss her when she gets to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment